Before we start on the tile work in the master bathroom, we wanted to get the messy stuff out of the way. And with that done…..We could install the door. Now for some temporary fixtures….And we have a working bathroom! Well sort of. The toilet ended up being defective so we will have to replace it next week. The floor and the wall behind the fixtures will eventually be covered in beautiful porcelain tile.
With the bathroom plumbing roughed in, (you can see the PEX lines going to the shower in the picture above), we can now start closing in the ceiling and walls.The last piece of the ceiling puzzle. This was a challenge because of the multiple angles and curves involved in the shape of our bathroom.Now on to the walls. But first, Jeff installed soundproofing insulation.
Getting the holes just right for wall penetrations, (outlets, pipes and such), usually takes a lot of careful measuring. Or this clever trick with a Q-tip and some paint. A little dab around the edges, press the wall board up against it,
We now have our rough-in electrical done for the master bathroom.This includes the light and vent fan switch locations and outlets. The vent fan is installed in the ceiling. There will be an outlet underneath the sink for a future recirculating pump that will assure instant hot water without wasting water to get it to the fixtures. Also we will have electric under floor heat. (under the tile). The Plumber will be coming this thursday to run PEX tubing to where the sink, toilet and shower fixtures will be.Here you can see that the shower is all framed in. There will also be a bench behind where Jeff is standing.
7/23/24 Update: After a visit from our friends at Radar Plumbing, we now have all the PEX lines connected to their respective bathroom fixture valves.
After numerous coats of Shellac stain, we installed the door to our master bedroom. Below, we have framed in the “doorway” to the walk-in, walk outdoors shower. And speaking of outdoors, we are starting to prepare for external stucco.There are two layers of 1 inch foam on the outside of our retaining walls. The outer layer, which has been exposed to the elements for several years now, has been held on with rusty wire and lath boards. Removing all that gives us a layer of “fresh” foam that is well stuck to the concrete underneath. Here Jeff is meticulously cutting off all the bits of rusty wire. It is on this inner layer of foam that the stucco will be applied to (over a fiberglass mesh). It’s exciting to get started on this part of our home project.
With the second half of our metal shed in place, it was time to get it ready to hold firewood. First we added some more metal panels to close off the sides. (and eventually the back) Then we added a bed of sand to give us a nice level base.A couple of years ago, I got an amazing deal on these really cool industrial pavers. These will allow for our firewood to be stored off the ground and the holes will allow for drainage.The big plastic tote in the center will hold kindling. We will have two “seasons” worth of firewood stored alternating between the “dry” side and the “next year’s” wood side. The shed will have walls in the front with a center entry. Jeff can’t wait to start filling it up with firewood.
Now that we no longer need our 20 foot metal shed to store lumber (milled from our own trees), we thought we would double the usefulness of that big shed.
With the help of a counter-rotating metal cutting circular saw, and of course, Dozy.The first half nearly in place behind our pump house. This will become Dozy’s new home and a covered workspace. We will end up putting up a solid back and a large door on the front. The other half of the big shed will get moved to the west side of our building site (near the septic tank), to become our firewood storage.
Here I am pulling the second half of the shed over to where it will become our firewood storage. Unfortunately, Dozy broke down before we got it into place and will be a couple of weeks before Dozy is up and running again.
We had some leftover stone from the wall behind the wood stove so we thought we would spruce up the counter wall behind the kitchen. Adding stone to this surface will also integrate the look in the living room.
First, we put up the cement backer board. Then mixed up the mortar.After “dry fitting” the stones to make sure the cuts were right… it was time to get muddy.We mortared on a few rows the first day then let it set up. The next day we finished putting up the rest of the stone. It makes for quite a transformation.Add a couple of bars stools, (A gift from our good friend David), and I think you will agree that this is pretty awesome.
Despite the fact that we haven’t even started work on the master bathroom (Have to build up our savings first), we just couldn’t wait to move int the bedroom. After completing the Cedar lining in the closet… And installing the built-in dresser.It was time get the bed in placeEventually I will build custom side tables with some book shelves. Having built-in, individually controlled (and dimable) LED reading lights is great. I just love waking up to our beautiful sunshine. (ceiling light fixture).
With the wiring going to the bathroom all installed, (through the closet ceiling), we could now close it up.The open stud wall above will get covered in aromatic Cedar paneling. Which is where two rows of clothes hanging rods will be. On the other side….Our dresser will be built into the wall between the closet and the bathroom. As soon as we get the closet pretty much finished we will be moving into the Master Bedroom. Though the bathroom won’t be done for some time, we are looking forward to sleeping in the West Wing.